Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Australian Man Lost At Sea… Again!

Barely two weeks after being saved in the largest rescue effort in the history of the reigion, 52 year old Ty Higgins has gone missing again.

Photo Courtesy of South Australian Police

As the northern hemisphere settles down for the autumn months along with its pumpkin-spiced goodies, spooky movies, and sweater weather, the southern hemisphere is shrugging off the doldrums of winter. Winds and rain are giving way to the cerulean blues and golden sands that make the continent an ideal surf location. The seas off the state of South Australia are coming alive, but so are the dangers of the sea.

Tony Higgins, 57, is among those enjoying the warmer temperatures of the Australian spring, but that got him into trouble earlier this month when he and his friend were lost at sea. For five days the local authorities scoured the ocean and were able to rescue the pair on the morning of September 10th in the largest in the state of South Australia’s history.

Yet, somehow, less than two weeks later, VICE is reporting that local authorities are once again searching for Tony Higgins at sea. At 5:00 am local time on October 6th, Higgins reported he was taking on water near Granite Island, and the authorities jumped into action. However, Higgins and his craft disappeared before anyone could arrive.

Higgins, who lives on the boat, already experienced issues earlier this week. On Saturday the vessel ran aground off Granite Island and was stuck until the tide rolled back out. Higgins managed to secure the boat to a wharf on the island, but it is no longer there. Additionally, the causeway to Granite Island from the mainland was closed on Monday due to dangerous winds over 60 mph.

Granite Island Photo Courtesy of Leybj003 / Wikimedia Commons

Local authorities have stated that they are doing what they can to locate Higgins and his boat but stressed that resources were finite. “That’s what we’re obligated to do,” said Police Commissioner Grant Stevens, “It does not come cheaply. These efforts always come at a cost to the community, but we have an obligation to ensure the safety of everybody and we’ll be doing that today.”

After his last disappearance, Higgins was fined for having an outdated emergency position indication radio beacon (EPIRB) and expired flares. Authorities also found that Higgins lacked a recreational boating license for his craft, which also serves as his home. It is unknown whether Higgins was able to address these concerns before his disappearance on Tuesday.

While Higgins’s disappearance weighs heavily upon his loved ones, it also serves as a reminder of the amazing work that local authorities can accomplish when they work alongside and for their communities. If you’re interested in seeing more Australian communities banding together, check out our piece on how a mullet competition saved a town from financial ruin.

Written By

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like


The 26-year-old man was arrested for "indecent exposure and for being under the influence of a controlled substance."


The artist was suffering from a prolonged period of poor health.


Are NASA and Destinus revolutionising air travel with high-speed jets? What supersonic travel might mean for the future of aviation.


Goff Elementary School in Moses Lake, Washington goes into lockdown due to reports of a mountain lion, turns out to be a fat cat...