For the first time in over 100 years, one of Victoria’s “most significant and spectacular luxury homes” is back on the market. Strikingly, what is now a lavish contemporary living space was once the headquarters of the George Street Post Office.
The original 1920s red brick façade has been preserved as seen in the building’s distinctive antique face.
On the inside, however, is a generous 4-bedroom and 3-bathroom property with soaring ceilings and tall windows which allow for an abundance of natural light.
According to the listing, an “adjoining study and library have been astutely forged from the Post Offices original second street entry and private post box collection area.”
Navigating to the outside world, the space unfolds to a “totally private botanic oasis and exquisite conservatory.”
Other standout features include:
- commercial-grade kitchen equipped w/ VIKING Range, handcrafted timber island, fully-appointed butler’s pantry
- outdoor BBQ kitchen
- “deep vine-clad” terrace + “lush landscaped” courtyard
- entertainment room w/ built-in seating, full bar
- grand fireplace
- palatial skylit bathroom
- copper-roofed conservatory w/ pool beneath an overlaid floor (currently being used as an artist’s studio; can be easily reconfigured into more living/accommodation space or revert into being a pool)
- 1,200-bottle cellar w/ tasting facility + additional storage
- automated garden irrigation
- intercom w/ CCTV security
- remote gates to basement & double garage w/ dumb waiter
- hydronic heating & ducted air conditioning
And to top it all off, this majestic home is only a moments walk from the MCG, Fitzroy Gardens, the Yarra River, trams, trains, Universities, hospitals and the very best of the CBD’s inner-city dining and entertainment.