Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Interesting

Man-Made Materials Officially Outweigh All Living Things On Earth

The Earth has more human-made materials than living things.

Credit: Pixabay

With the many things humans have built and made over the past decades, it may come as no surprise that it has passed the number of living things. Scary, right?

A recent study claims that human materials have a total mass weighing greater than all living things on Earth. This includes plants, animals, and humans. 

It’s difficult to imagine this considering, not all-natural places have been discovered, but several forests have been cleared for human-made materials. To put this into terms 1.1 teratons (or 1,100,000,000,000 tons) is made up of plants. That’s 90% leaving 10% to be humans and animals.

At the beginning of the 20th century, human materials were only 3% of the Earth’s biomass. Since then, much of these human-made materials ae buildings, roads, concrete, etc. Currently, about 30 gigatons (or 30,000,000,000 tons) of materials are produced. This does not include waste. 

All in all, researchers say the amount of made materials over living creatures is an estimate. It may have been reached within the last decade or in just the next few years. This is presented to show how severe human impact has been to the planet.

Credit: Pixabay

To give you a better visual, man-made materials produced per week outweigh the mass of every human on Earth today. At this rate, it is predicted that man-made mass plus waste will triple the Earth’s biomass by the year 2040. Also, humans have destroyed nearly half of the planet’s biomass with deforestation and other harming activities

A lot has been done to the Earth, but maybe we can help better the planet moving forward. For better news, check it this island that claims to be the happiest place on Earth.

Written By

You May Also Like

Interesting

Armchair detectives' motivations might be hitting too close to home.

Interesting

'Long dogs' are the internet's latest obsession.

Interesting

The rise and fall of the mysterious Church of Scientology.

Interesting

Ethiopia is the only African country that isn’t colonized.

Interesting

Lately I've been dressing for revenge.

Interesting

Growing up, hearing the phrase ‘time goes more quickly as you get older’ is an almost universal experience. This poses the question, what is...

Interesting

The safe word, which has only recently been implemented into the guidelines, is not always respected.

News

Pillow Fighting has been drawing quite a big crowd recently, here's why.

Interesting

Seriously, this sound is everywhere.

Interesting

Liminal spaces represent the challenge to accept uncertainty, solitude and constant change in life.

Interesting

How the "model minority myth" came to be, and how it became so harmful.

Interesting

Nasubi, the man who lived for 15 months solely off of what he could win through raffles